Incoming Path Program Freshman Chooses Communication Disorders Major at U of A

Jul 22, 2019 | Communication Disorders and Occupational Therapy

Karina Escobar, Path ProgramKarina Escobar recently graduated from Rogers New Technology High School and will be a communication disorders major at the University of Arkansas this fall.

She’s already on the U of A campus, though, participating in a five-week summer bridge program through the Honors College Path Program. Escobar is among 23 exceptional new freshmen selected for Path, a mentoring initiative that recruits talented high school students from underrepresented populations.

Escobar said she became interested in studying communication disorders after her grandmother’s stroke in 2017.

“She wasn’t able to swallow or speak properly and we were introduced to a speech pathologist who truly helped her,” Escobar explained. “I became fascinated in the career, and I was inspired to help others just like my family was helped. This truly sparked my enthusiasm towards communication disorders, and I’m happy to learn more about my field.”

The communication disorders degree is available through the College of Education and Health Professions at the U of A.

Escobar said she had doubts about being accepted into the Path program, but applied anyway. She was thrilled to be invited to participate in the next step: an interview on campus.

“When I received my acceptance email, I cried,” she said. “I was so happy at being given such an amazing opportunity and I knew it would make my family proud. I can’t explain my joy in having been accepted and can’t wait to see where the program takes me.”

Karina Escobar, U of A Path Program

Escobar has previously been involved in a variety of community and networking extracurricular activities, including Arvest First Leadership, Hispanic Ambassadors, Prom Committee, Rogers Honors Academy, National Honors Society, Superintendent Student Council, Lifeteen, and Mayor’s Youth Academy.

Escobar said when she’s not studying or participating in classes this summer, most of her time is spent helping family, attending church, reading, and socializing.

“I spend a lot of my time with my family and I am grateful for all they’ve done for me,” she said. “My older sister has been one of my biggest motivators as she stopped going to the community college near our home. She continues to encourage me to strive for success and work hard in college. I am now the first person in my family to attend a four-year college, and I know I will make my family proud.”

Escobar received a $4,500 academic scholarship, thanks to $5.5 million in endowment from the Walton Family Charitable Support Foundation and gifts of $100,000 to $250,000 from former Honors College Dean Bob McMath and his wife, Linda; Lee and Beverly Bodenhamer; and Nick and Carolyn Cole. Path scholarships are renewed based on continued engagement with the Path Program and satisfactory academic progress.

“Karina, like all our Path scholars, comes to the program with an exceptional high school record. We look forward to supporting her through her undergraduate career,” said Xochitl Delgado Solorzano, director of the Path Program.

Path students also benefit from shared housing at the Honors College dorm, academic success advising, and peer and professional mentoring, as well as study abroad, research and internship opportunities.

The program boasts a 100 percent on-time graduation rate since its first group graduated in 2018.